Pursuing an Academic Career
Monday 31 August, 19:30 to 21:00 - Room B & Topaz Lounge
Life scientists are invited to a "cheese and wine" mentoring session focused on the following topics:
1. After your PhD - what comes next in academia? The choice between a
postdoc in your home country or abroad, Europe, the USA or elsewhere?
2. Planning your career: obtaining an appropriate postdoc position
3. Starting your own lab: where and how (tenured positions; fellowships; grants)
and other issues.
4. Job application strategies for academic positions: applying for independent
positions - first as a junior independent investigator and then at higher
(assistant professor) level.
5. Defining and refining research directions for your project and your group.
6. Raising kids while pursuing a career in research.
7. Publishing: How important is it for your career? When is your story ready to
be published? Which journal to try? Who should be involved in writing the
paper, and who should be co-authors? How to reply to editors and reviewers?
8. Is life science changing, should the coming generation of scientists be more
9. Writing your first grant. Grant opportunities for young scientists within Europe.
10. Communicating your science.
Up to ten participants and two mentors will be seated for round table discussions per topic. Each mentor will provoke discussion, answer your questions and recommend appropriate resources.
The "cheese and wine" mentoring session is organised by the former ELSO Career Development Committee (CDC).